Immigration Law area

If you want to live and work in the U.S., these pages will keep you informed and up-to-date. WORLD Law Direct can help you! Contact us at any time. Click "ASK OUR LAWYERS" above! This area of law also covers: Citizenship and Nationality laws.

Legal Tip of the Week

How to get a green card

By, Inc.  [April 3rd, 2020]

The United States offers several ways to become a Permanent Resident (Green Card holder). A Green Card allows you to live and work permanently in the U.S. A permanent resident is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a "green card." You can become a permanent resident several different ways. Most individuals are sponsored by a family member or employer in the United States. Other individuals may become permanent residents through refugee or asylee status or other humanitarian programs. In some cases, you may be eligible to file for yourself. >> MORE

Legal Issues? We Can Help You

If you have a legal issue, we'll help!

Read other important articles from this law-area to find what you need to know. If you have a legal issue, we'll help! WORLDLawDirect. Legal help 24 hours a day!

  • About H-1B visas
  • H-1B visa FAQ
  • How to emigrate to Canada
  • Marriage and immigration in the U.S.
  • Permanent Labor Certification
  • Permanent residency
  • Starting the PERM Green Card Process
  • U.S. citizen marrying a foreign national
  • Working in America


Your most common questions answered:

How can an alien become a legal permanent U.S. resident or green card holder?
[November 21st 2013]
To become a legal permanent resident, an alien must first be admitted as an immigrant. There are two basic methods for obtaining an immigrant visa: 1) through family relationship with a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, or 2) through employment. Specific information is available from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in the United States.
What is the difference between an immigrant and a nonimmigrant visa?
[January 21st 2018]
An immigrant visa is the visa issued to persons wishing to live permanently in the United States. A nonimmigrant visa is the visa issued to persons with permanent residence outside the U.S. but who wish to be in the U.S. on a temporary basis, for example, tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, or study.
Does the fiance(e) visa automatically change to an alien registration card (green card)?
[April 13th 2010]
No. After the marriage takes place, the U.S. citizen must contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to change the alien spouse's status to legal permanent resident. This information is given to the alien fiance(e) upon his/her entry to the U.S.